Family Based Immigration
Rhode Island & Massachusetts Family Immigration Attorney
At the The Law Office of Saikon Gbehan, LLC, one of the most important service we provide is to connect families through the immigration process. Attorney Gbehan Isijola is experienced in all aspects of immigration law and will assist you in determining the best option available for reuniting your family.
As a United States citizen or legal permanent resident, you can petition for your relatives to receive family-based immigrant visas and join you in the United States.
There are two groups of family-based immigrant visa categories, immediate relatives and family preference categories under the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas:
These visas are based on having a close family relationship with a United States citizen described as an Immediate Relative. The numbers of immigrants in these categories are not limited.
Immediate relative visa types include:
- Spouse of a U.S. citizen
- Unmarried child under 21 years of age of a U.S. citizen
- Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen
- Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen
- Parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years of age
Family Preference Immigrant Visas (Limited):
These visas are for specific, more distant, family relationships with a U.S. citizen and some specified relationships with a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). There are numerical limitations on family preference immigrants.
The family preference categories are:
- Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their minor children, if any
- Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of LPRs
- Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children
- Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age
Grandparents, aunts, uncles, in-laws, and cousins cannot sponsor a relative for immigration.
Contact us today at (401) 228-0001 to get started.