K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

Rhode Island and Massachusetts Immigration Lawyer

If you are a U.S. citizen, and you wish to marry a foreigner and bring him / her to the U.S. to become your spouse, then a K-1 visa allows you to bring your fiancé (e) to the U.S. to get married. The K-1 Visa is sometimes referred to as a “fiancé(e) visa”.


There are several requirements in order to apply for a K-1 visa for your fiancé(e):

  1. You must be a U.S. citizen
  2. You must have met your fiancée in person within the past 2 years
  3. You and your fiancée must be legally free to marry (i.e. single or divorced)
  4. You and your fiancée must have a serious intention to marry within 90 days of your fiancée’s arrival in the U.S.
  5. You must meet minimum financial requirements


The K-1 application procedure entails the following process:

  • First, you file paperwork with the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) in the U.S.
  • Next, once approved by USCIS, your case is sent to the U.S. embassy in your fiancée’s native country. He / She is asked to fill out paperwork and take a medical exam. He / She then goes for an interview in the U.S. embassy/consulate, after which his /her visa is then granted.

Do I need an attorney to obtain a K-1 visa for my fiancée?

It is not required that you have an attorney when you file the petition for a K-1 visa for your fiancée, but it is highly advisable to hire an attorney. There are a number of beneficial reasons for this:

  • The USCIS and US State Department suspect that a large number of K-1 cases are fraudulent, and for that reason deny many petitions. You do not want to risk facing a denial. If you hire an attorney, you will be better able to demonstrate that your case is bona fide and genuine, and that the USCIS and State Department should grant your visa.
  • To navigate your way through the K-1 process, you have to fill out many forms. As a non-attorney, you will likely be unsure of which forms to fill out and exactly how to fill them out. Hiring an experienced attorney with extensive experience in filling out immigration forms gives you confidence in knowing that your case is being handled properly.
  • If you make any mistakes or omissions, then your case will be delayed, possibly for months, and you may even face a denial from the USCIS, which would require you to start all over again. During any delay, you will most likely be separated from your fiancée, creating a sense of intense anxiety and even despair.

With Attorney Gbehan Isijola’s services, you are benefiting from her expertise and experience handling cases like this on a daily basis. She knows exactly what to do to help you get the visa for your fiancée. She is dedicated, diligent and prioritizes her clients putting their needs first. Attorney Gbehan Isijola can guide you and your fiancé through the entire K-1 visa application and interview process.

Ready to begin? Schedule a Consultation Today by Calling (401) 228-0001.