H-1B Visa

Rhode Island and Massachusetts H-1B Lawyer

If you’re a business owner in Rhode Island or Massachusetts and you’re interested in hiring specialty workers from another country, an H-1B visa will allow you to bring these individuals into the United States to work for you. This is often called ‘sponsorship’.

H-1B visas allow qualified foreign nationals who work in specialty occupations to come to the United States to work for a U.S. employer for a specific number of years. While this is a non-immigrant visa, it allows the individual to have “dual intent,” meaning the H-1B recipient may currently be a non-immigrant but may also want to become a green card holder in the future.

Who Can Get An H-1B Visa?

An H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that gives permission to certain qualified foreign nationals to come to the United States to work for U.S. companies in a specialty occupation.

A specialty occupation requires that the individual have highly specialized knowledge related to a specific field of work. There are many different types of specialty occupations, including the following:

  • Physicians, surgeons, health care researchers, and other medical professionals;
  • Lawyers and legal professionals;
  • Computer programmers, computer scientists, and network administrators;
  • Engineers, including electrical, civil, mechanical, industrial, and computer engineering;
  • Professors and teachers;
  • Writers, artists, and other creative professionals;
  • Surveyors and architects;
  • Biologists, anthropologists, political scientists, and other social scientists;
  • Therapists, psychologists, or psychiatrists;
  • Accountants, economists, and auditors;
  • Managers, administrators, and other leadership positions in various fields.

If you work in a specialized field, the highly experienced Rhode Island and Massachusetts immigration lawyer at the The Law Office of Saikon Gbehan, LLC. is here to help you.

Requirements for an H-1B Visa

In order to obtain an H-1B visa, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Have received a bachelor’s degree or more advanced degree in your field or have the experience equivalent to such a degree;
  • The position you wish to fill requires your specific experience, skill, or advanced degree;
  • The position is in a qualifying specialty occupation;
  • The employer must sponsor your visa petition;
  • Your employer must meet certain requirements for wages, specifically that they must pay you at least the prevailing wage or a wage similar to others in the same occupation with similar qualifications;
  • An H-1B visa must be available, as USCIS has a limited quota, or “cap”, for this type of visa.

Having handled many complex matters, our skilled immigration lawyer works with employers and employees through every step of the H1-B Visa Application process. If you need assistance with an H-1B visa, call our experienced Rhode Island and Massachusetts immigration attorney for a consultation today.

To schedule a consultation for help with an H-1B visa, call our office today at (401) 228-0001.