Green Card & Permanent Residency

Immigration Attorney in Rhode Island and Massachusetts

Green Card
Having a United States Green Card, also known as a Permanent Resident Card, gives the holder permanent residence in the United States and the ability to legally live and work in the United States. They can also travel in and out of the country more freely. Furthermore, the U.S Green Card is the first step towards pursuing naturalization and citizenship if desired. At the The Law Office of Saikon Gbehan, LLC., we want to be a part of this significant step on your journey to fulfilling your American dream.

In order to be eligible for a Green Card, an applicant must belong to one of the immigrant categories outlined in the Immigration and Nationality Act. The most common way individuals receive green cards or permanent residency is through marriage. However, generally, all applicants must be eligible to enter the U.S. through employment, investment, family, diversity visa lottery, asylum or refugee status, or through some other pre-established means. Green Cards are issued after an adjustment of status if inside the United States or through a U.S. Embassy if an individual resides outside of the United States. In cases where a Green Card applicant has to apply for a U.S. visa first, the visa must be secured or available before the Green Card application is submitted.

General Application Process
Applying for a Green Card is a complex process, and there are numerous ways to get a U.S. Green Card. The steps that must be taken to apply for a Green Card will differ based on your individual situation.

The general application process that most applicants will go through for a green card include:

  1. Usually, someone (often referred to as a sponsor) must file an immigrant petition for you. In some cases, you may be eligible to file for yourself.
  2. After the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approves the immigrant petition, and there is a visa available in your category, you file either a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with USCIS or a visa application with the U.S. Department of State.
  3. You go to a biometrics appointment to provide fingerprints, photos, and a signature.
  4. You go to an interview.
  5. You receive a decision on your application.

If you are currently outside of the United States, you cannot apply for adjustment of status. Instead, you must go through consular processing at the nearest U.S. Embassy in your native country.

Contact The Law Office of Saikon Gbehan, LLC.
Our Rhode Island and Massachusetts Immigration Lawyer at the The Law Office of Saikon Gbehan, LLC. will evaluate your case comprehensively to determine if you are eligible to adjust your status or recommend steps that are required before you apply for adjustment of status.

To schedule an initial consultation with us today, don’t hesitate to contact us at (401) 228-0001.